Thursday, July 06, 2006

It's not so grim up north...

I had another business related trip last week and it was in Newcastle; oddly enough it's a quite pleasant place to visit. I had this preconceived notion that it would be very grey and industrial but it was quite the opposite.

My impressions of the city? Well it's feels far more like a town than a city; there are not very many tall buildings and the roads are quite wide which adds to the openness of the place. It helped that the weather was very good, as it was across the country; in fact I found it a bit too warm for my liking.

I visited the Chinatown up there, unfortunately there didn't seem to be very many of the small shops that serve quick meals. Most seemed to be the stuffy chinese restaurant variety. The main street was also not for pedestrians alone; which made the place feel like any other street rather than a small community. I had the usual roast duck and pork rice that was nice enough and came with brocolli.

The first picture should be easily recognisable to all but the second perhaps not, it's the new music and arts hall that is affectionately known as the armadillo. I walked across the rotatable Millenium bridge but forgot to take a picture...

N

No comments: